5/25/08

Whenever the Rooster Crows

By Keith Fisher


Before we know it, we’ll be in the middle of the patriotic season. Inevitably, we’ll have the opportunity to cook or attend one of the many fund raising breakfasts offered on those holidays. Since my blog is dedicated to out-door cooking not just Dutch oven, let’s talk about breakfast in Camp.


When I was a kid I remember waking up during camping trips and watching my grandfather make breakfast. He loved to cook in the mountains and he designated himself camp cook. His pancakes from scratch were the best, and he could flip an egg with finesse.


Grandpa is gone now, and because of my Dutch oven hobby, I have assumed the title. I love getting up early and watching the sunrise as I flip waffles cooked on top of my propane stove. "Did he say waffles?" you ask. Yes I said waffles and they are delicious. You’d be surprised how thrilling it is to serve waffles to campers who are expecting the old standard, pancakes, for breakfast.


According to Wikipedia, Waffle irons were brought to America in the 1620s. In 1869, Cornelius Swarthout patented the first U.S waffle iron. This iron sat atop wood or gas stoves. A hinge that swiveled joined the cast iron plates in a cast iron collar. A few years ago, one of the Utah based distributors commissioned a casting company to make a copy of the originals. As you can see it has wood handles but the pivots are the same. I got one, and after a lot of seasoning I found it very relaxing. You can find one of these irons here


The way it works is this: place it on the stove. Mix up your pancake mix. Turn on the burner when it heats up turn it over and heat the other side. Then spoon the batter onto the bottom and close it up. When your waffle is cooked on one side, turn it over and cook the other side.
Tips:
  • Lower the stovetop so you can work sitting down. Set the bowl and utensils next you so you can remain sitting.
  • Seasoning is not enough. It helps to spray the iron before each waffle with cooking spray.
  • You will destroy a few waffles until you get the hang of it.
  • Cooking times will vary and the amount of fire will also, depends on altitude and experience.


When you get the knack you will look like a laid back, happy go lucky kind of guy. In other words everyone’s hero. Serve these with your favorite topping. I love strawberries in sauce. Serve with melon chunks and scrambled eggs.



Good luck and enjoy the holiday.

Return to the Neighborhood.

2 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

Ooo, Keith! I haven't had breakfast yet, and you're making me sooooo hungry!

Do you have a special waffle recipe that you use, or do you just use the standard one?

Thanks for posting a great blog.

Nichole Giles said...

Ah, now I'm hungry! I happen to love waffles with strawberry sauce. They're one of my favorites. I think I'm going to have to get one of those waffle irons, it looks way fun.

I'm dying to go camping now. Thanks for the great tips.

Nichole